Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Our Guest Cottage

The farm guest cottage - the clouds behind her are where Kilimanjaro lies (on a clear day, that is !)

Dibble, Zonde, Josie & Mbwenya thoroughly enjoyed their walk. Here they are sniffing something beside a field of wheat.


On Sunday my husband was working on and off for most of the day – he had been hoping to have the day off, but some crop disease problems kept him busy as he had to spray to try and curb the disease (which seems to be under control now, thank goodness).

Instead of moping around the house (Sunday’s are traditionally family days for us and I really look forward to having my husband at home !) my daughter and I took the dogs for a short walk to the farm guest cottage which I told you about last week. I wanted to take some photo’s of it for the blog ! So, here is a photo above of the guest cottage ……

A couple of years ago my husband decided that it would be nice to paint the outside of the farm house green. He ran it by me first, and I agreed - as long as it was a pale green though, I said. When the paint arrived, it was a dark sea green colour (awful !) so I refused to allow him to paint the house with it ! As a result, the guest cottage was painted with it instead. Thankfully, over the years the green colour has faded in the relentless African sun, and last year we put a coat of white paint over it. But the green still shines through a little as it really still needs a second coat, which I plan to get Nelson (painter/handyman) to do soon. Then the green will be gone forever !

The guest cottage lies on the far side of the farm workshops, not very far from our house and is a good walk to do on a Sunday as there are not too many staff around this area so I can take the dogs with me without too many problems, as long as I don’t go far. (To read about the strange reason why I can't easily walk on the farm, click here.)

Next time I’ll take some interior photo’s to put on the blog. We had a student here last year who is an excellent artist, and she did a stunning black & white elephant painting which takes up one entire wall of the dining room/lounge area, and is really quite unique.