Thursday, June 26, 2008

Scotch Fingers

These Scotch Fingers store well & are also a great lunchbox filler

I adore oats. I eat oatmeal every day for breakfast and it helps to keep me full until lunchtime. Sometimes I even add a grated apple and some cinnamon as I am cooking it, which makes it even tastier. I often have a bowl of oatmeal as a mid afternoon snack, too … well I know that probably sounds a little odd (!!) but then it’s better than tucking in to the biscuit barrel, I suppose ! So you see, I can’t resist a recipe that contains oats … (although I wouldn’t go so far as to add it as a thickener to vegetable soup - as the tin suggests)

These are similar to my recipe for Crunchies but are not as sweet or hard (teeth breaking ?) as those.

These are more like a softer bar and are great for kids – and also for school lunch boxes !


Scotch Fingers


1 cup rolled Oats
1 cup Flour
¼ cup Sugar
3 tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Salt
¼ cup Milk
¼ cup Honey
1 ½ tbsp melted Butter

Mix the oats, flour, sugar, baking powder & salt together. Then add the milk, honey and melted butter & blend well. Roll quite thinly onto a floured surface and cut into fingers. Place on a greased baking tray and bake at Gas Mark 4 /180’C/350’F for 15 - 20 minutes. Once done, dust with some caster sugar whilst still hot.