Monday, July 28, 2008

Honey & Molasses Loaf

This bread tastes great with cheese, & also makes really nice toast a day or two after baking

This recipe comes out of the August 2008 copy of one of my favourite South African magazines, “Fair Lady”.

As you know, we cannot get ingredients like wholewheat flour or bran easily in Tanzania, so I made this bread when I was in South Africa recently, with ingredients bought at a local supermarket just that morning … oh, the convenience of it all !

Honey & Molasses Loaf (from “Fair Lady” magazine, August 2008)

2 cups wholewheat Flour
1 cup cake Flour
1 cup Bran
1 tbsp Sunflower seeds*
1 tbsp Sesame seeds*
1 tsp Salt
2 tbsp Sunflower Oil
1 tbsp Honey
1 tbsp Molasses
20 gm instant Yeast
2 cups lukewarm Water

Mix all ingredients together, put in a loaf tin, let it rise to the top, then bake for 35 minutes at 180’C/350’F/Gas Mark 4. (This recipe makes one large loaf – I froze half of it after baking)

* I added 3 tbsp of mixed seeds to the dough instead of 2 tbsp – I used a mixture of flax (linseed), pumpkin, sunflower & sesame seeds & I also sprinkled an extra tablespoon of the mixed seeds over the top of the dough before baking.

P.S. My friend Gary over at "Cooking Outdoors" made this bread in a Dutch oven and it turned out beautifully. Have a look at how he did it over here.