Saturday, July 19, 2008

Orange Skinned Lemons

A close-up of the unusual lemons which have orange coloured skins

The tree which they grow on had previously been knocked down by elephants & is growing at an odd angle

I recently wrote about a lovely walk which we took in the Tanzanian bush several Sunday’s ago. This unusual lemon tree was something which we saw on the walk that day. At first I thought that it was an orange tree, but our friend who was with us at the time told us that it was, in fact a Lemon tree with orange coloured fruit !

Of course I had to take a closer look and as you can see by the fruit which I am holding in my hand in the picture above, it looks exactly like a lemon aside from the bright orange coloured skin. On breaking the fruit open, it looks exactly like a lemon inside (colour/size/texture), and tastes like one too …. quite bizarre !

When I got home I tried to read up on it and research it a bit, but I could not find much out there. They don’t seem to ‘exist’ ? The only thing I can think, is that it is a hybrid of some sort, created by crossing a lemon and an orange. The area we were walking in was wild African bush but it used to be local farm land, and there were fruit trees there before (although I’m not sure exactly which types).

I should also point out that the tree is growing in a lopsided fashion like that because it had been knocked over my elephants ! It has continued to grow though, and is situated in quite a marshy/wet area.

If anyone can shed any light on this unusual orange skinned lemon, I’d be most grateful. Do they grow in your part of the world, or have you ever seen or heard of anything like it before ?