Monday, August 11, 2008

All Waffled Out !

Waffles for Africa !

I recently bought myself an electric waffle iron. I saw it in one of the larger supermarkets in the city (and almost fainted from the sheer shock of even finding such a thing here in 3rd world Africa, of all places !). I did a double-take, pinched myself, realized that I was not dreaming and once the shock had worn off, decided that if I didn’t buy it there and then, I would probably never see another one here as long as I live, so thought I’d better buy it and strike whilst the (waffle) iron was hot, so to speak ….

So I am now the proud owner of a waffle iron, and it is an absolute treat to be able to eat waffles for breakfast, afternoon tea and dessert … I have also experimented with all sorts of different waffle batter recipes and we have tried every imaginable topping.

Justin has also sampled the delights of waffles – something which he had never seen or heard of in his life before (he really enjoyed them, too !) In fact, the house is in “waffle overload” mode at the moment …. as you can tell by the large batch of waffles pictured above, which were frozen in 3’s in the deep freeze and are just so easy to pop into the toaster and warm up, whenever the waffle urge strikes. But for now ? No thanks, I think I’ll pass – as for the time being at least, I’m completely and utterly all ‘waffled’ out !


Waffles (This recipe comed from “The Complete South African Cookbook” by Magdaleen Van Wyk)

2 cups Cake Flour
2 tsp Sugar
4 tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Salt
1 cup Milk
2 Eggs, separated
4 tbsp Butter, melted

Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder & salt together in a bowl. Gradually add the milk & mix well. Beat the egg yolks and add to the batter. Fold in the melted butter. Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold into the batter. Pour into a waffle iron (according to manufacturers instructions) & cook until done.


These waffles freeze well & can simply be popped into the toaster when you need to re heat them again. (They make a great “breakfast on the run”, too !)