Saturday, August 9, 2008

Memories of Mozambique ... & Peri Peri Sauce

I was followed by local Mozambiquean children during a walk on Inhaca Island in the early '90's - more & more kids joined me as I passed through each village !

Here I've used Peri Peri sauce to coat chicken breasts - I always like to serve lemon wedges on the side

Many years ago, I spent some time travelling in Mozambique (an African country in the South of the Continent, which used to be a Portuguese colony) and also on Inhaca Island (an Island which lies just off Mozambique's coastline).

During the time I spent there, I discovered that Mozambiquean food has a huge Portuguese influence, and peri peri (& garlic !) sauces & butters are served there with almost everything - I have fond recollections of gorging myself silly on peri peri prawns, caught fresh that morning (not by me though !) and eaten on the beach in the moonlight .... and whenever I eat peri peri sauce, I am always transported back to that magical time again ...

Here is a simple Peri Peri sauce recipe which originates from South Africa. In Tanzania, Peri Peri is often referred to as “Pili Pili” and if it is really hot, you call it “Pili Pili Ho Ho” – the “Ho Ho” supposedly being the sound you make when eating something that is burning your mouth !

Chilli’s grow well in our climate and can often be found in the local markets either fresh or dried, and it is not uncommon to find colourful chilli bushes growing in even the smallest, dustiest African village.


Peri Peri Sauce (this recipe comes from “The Complete South African Cookbook” by Magdaleen Van Wyk)

2 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp Cornflour
1 medium Onion, grated
1 small Chilli, finely chopped
1 ½ cups Chicken (or Fish) Stock*

Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the cornflour & stir until smooth. Combine the onion, chilli & chicken (or fish) stock in a small bowl and add to the butter & cornflour mixture. Simmer over low heat, stirring continuously, until thickened. Add the sauce to the meat or fish and simmer for 15 to 30 minutes.

*If you are going to be using this sauce for chicken, use a chicken stock & if you are using it for fish or seafood, use a fish stock instead.