Friday, September 26, 2008

Garlicky Mushrooms

Garlicky Mushrooms, served hot out of the pan as a side dish - or as part of a cooked breakfast

There are only 3 things that I simply can’t bear to eat – green peppers, organ meat and ….. mushrooms. Egh !

I don’t know what it is with me and mushrooms, but they make my stomach turn and always have – the sight of them, the texture of them, but most of all …. the smell of them. I am not a squeamish person, except when it comes to mushrooms. (I joke that I must have died by eating poisoned mushrooms in a past life or something ?)

My mother never forced us to eat mushrooms as kids, but I remember going on holiday once to stay with a great Aunt and Uncle who lived on the Cape coast in South Africa. One night they served us mushroom soup & toast for supper. Being the well mannered, well brought up child that I was (*ahem* I have to put that in ‘cause my Mum reads my blog) I HAD to eat the soup. My Mum smiled supportively at me across the table as my great Aunt placed a steaming bowl of the thick grey liquid down in front of me. My stomach turned & I forced it down. As I was half way through the bowl, I suddenly started vomiting violently (yes, I know, great conversation for a recipe post, isn’t it ?!) That was the first (& last) time I ever ate mushrooms.

Just my luck, I married a man who simply adores mushrooms – and because I love him dearly, I hold my breath and cook them for him occasionally. I’ve also introduced my daughter to them from a young age (she, too, refuses to eat them and this is a child who’s idea of a treat is munching on raw broccoli or cabbage leaves ! Is she copying me ? Mmmm ... not sure about that one.) A lot of gagging and rolling of the eyes goes on as I cook them, but my husband is always really grateful and they are cooked with love, which is the main thing. (Isn’t it ?!)

Here is my ‘recipe’ for garlic mushrooms. I don’t know what they taste like, although I’ve been cooking them for years, but take my husband’s word for it, they are delicious ….


Garlicky Mushrooms

I take a punnet of mushrooms (around 250 gm’s) and remove the stalks. I do wash mine, although ‘they’ say you shouldn’t (how else to you get all the gritty stuff off just by rubbing them with a damp cloth ? Eeewww !!) I slice them finely and put them into a pan that has a few teaspoons of salted butter already heated in it. I swirl them around in the butter and as they begin to brown I add some more salt and about 2 heaped teaspoons of garlic. I continue to fry them until they are golden brown & crispy and then hastily serve them up and exit the kitchen until the mushroom smell has disappeared !