Sunday, September 14, 2008

Kilimanjaro Coleslaw

I use a mixture of carrots and both red & green cabbage for this coleslaw

Everyone has their favourite Coleslaw recipe. After years of trying to find the ‘perfect’ recipe, I finally found it a few years ago – and then lost it again !

I have so many recipe books and although I try to keep them well organized (especially the ones I’ve made myself from recipes cut out of magazines, printed off the internet/emails etc) I have somehow mislaid ‘the’ Coleslaw recipe somewhere. (I’m sure it’ll crop up someday though !)

In the meantime I’ve tried to replicate the recipe from memory (it’s nice - though not quite as good as the original !) and have also since created a new recipe keeping system of plastic flip files – so as soon as I print or cut a recipe out, it gets put straight into the flip file … never to disappear again !

Here is the replicated (& renamed !) recipe -:


Kilimanjaro Coleslaw

¾ cup Mayonnaise
¼ cup white grape Vinegar
1 small red Onion, grated
2 tbsp brown Sugar
2 tbsp Lemon juice
2 tsp Celery Salt
1 heaped tsp Garlic flakes
White Pepper & Salt to taste
3 cups Cabbage (red & white)
2 cups Carrots, grated

In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, grated onion, sugar, lemon juice, celery salt, garlic flakes, white pepper & salt. In a separate bowl, mix together the cabbage and carrots and then pour the whisked mayonnaise mixture over and stir to blend. Cover and refrigerate overnight – this Coleslaw tastes even better the next day.