Sunday, October 19, 2008

Devilled Pork Chops

These Devilled Pork Chops take a devilishly long time to cook, but don't let that put you off - they are still tender & delicious !

This is a recipe that my mother-in-law has been making for years and years. I’ve eaten it at her home on 2 different continents when my husband & I were dating, then engaged, then married. It’s one I never tire of eating & also one of those simple recipes that gives maximum flavour for minimum effort – it’s always a hit !

As you know my mother-in-law is visiting us at the moment from the UK, and when she offered to make the dish for us the other night I jumped at the chance to photograph it & get the recipe from her (not to mention having a night off from cooking !) – although I must admit that I was a little dubious at first about cooking the pork chops for so long but they turned out perfectly and the flavour was also a hit with my 4 year old !

Here’s the recipe -:


Devilled Pork Chops

500 gm Pork Chops
Oil for frying
1 Onion
2 tbsp Flour
3 tbsp Tomato Sauce (Ketchup)
1 tbsp Worcester Sauce
2 tsp Mustard, prepared (we used Hot English)
1 stock Cube
2 cups Water

Lightly fry the pork chops in a little oil until brown. Place in an oven proof dish. Then fry the onion until brown & to this add the flour, tomato sauce, Worcester sauce, mustard, stock cube and water which have been blended together in a separate bowl. Cook for a few minutes until it thickens, stirring constantly & then pour the sauce over the pork chops and bake at 180’C/350’F/Gas Mark 4 for an hour until done.