Friday, October 24, 2008

Justin's Tanzanian Ugali Recipe

Justin has taught me the best way to make Tanzanian Ugali

It doesn't look like much, but Ugali is tasty, nutritious and very filling, too

Ugali is a staple part of the Tanzanian diet. Ugali is basically a stiff porridge made with ground maize meal (also known locally as maize flour) and water. It is typically eaten with meat or vegetable stews, much as you would eat mashed potatoes or rice.

As far as I know, most African countries have their own version of Ugali – for example in Zimbabwe it is called “Sudza” and in South Africa it is called “Pap”. I wrote a blog post some time ago on maize meal and it’s uses, including a recipe for Mealie Meal Crumble pap which you can read here. (This recipe has, incidentally, become one of the most searched for – and visited – recipes on my blog !)

During my mother-in-law’s recent visit, she asked if we could eat some Ugali one day as it is difficult to find in England and as she had grown up eating it in Africa, she longed for the taste again. So, I happily obliged - only I got Justin to make it for me & show me step-by-step how to do it, as I do not have a lot of experience making the Tanzanian version.

So, here is Justin’s recipe -:


Justin’s Tanzanian Ugali

1 cup Maize Meal
2 cups Water

Bring water to the boil in a medium sized pot. In the meantime, mix 1/2 a cup of the Maize Meal into a paste with a little extra water. Add this paste to the boiling water, & stir. Now add the remaining 1/2 cup of dry maize meal to the boiling water and mix into a stiff porridge. (A wooden spoon is best used for this as the mixture can become extremely hot.) Continue to cook until done -around 15 minutes - and until the porridge comes away from the sides of the pot easily and the texture is quite stiff.