Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Tanzanian Beetroot Recipe from the Serengeti National Park ...

Deceptively simple yet so delicious - Salim's Serengeti Beetroot Salad

The world famous Serengeti National Park. Home to the annual migration of around 1 million Wildebeest and Zebra, 14 763 square km’s in size, a world heritage site – and once, my home.

My husband and I used to live in the Serengeti National Park, and refurbished & ran a luxury tented safari camp here. Living there was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Especially when the Wildebeest used to gallop BETWEEN the camp tents as we slept. Thousands of thundering hooves … tons of dust. It was terrifying. But delightful. It used to leave our guests in awe.

When the migration was around the camp (usually always in the early morning), I’d get the waiters to set the breakfast tables out on the wooden deck with the best view of where the Wildebeest happened to be grazing. The food would be forgotten, as cameras and binoculars took over … no amount of money could guarantee that you would see it, hundreds or thousands of grey Wildebeest, as far as the eye could see ….. even now, just the thought of it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

You know what they say about the ugly old Wildebeest, don’t you ? That after God created all the beautiful animals … the zany Zebra, the magnificent Lion, the breathtakingly beautiful leopard … he used all the left over ‘bits’ … put them all together, and came up with the Wildebeest. It’s true ! If you look at the Wildebeest he is an ugly, hotch potch of a fellow … unbalanced and beasty looking. Poor soul !

Anyway, I’ve veered off the topic as usual … I wanted to share with you a very easy but extremely flavorsome salad which one of my Serengeti camp chef’s, Salim, used to make. He used a slightly different honey & mustard dressing for his – I don’t have his recipe I’m afraid –but you get the idea ….


Salim’s Serengeti Beetroot Salad

4 – 5 large beetroots, cooked & sliced
1 large red onion, finely sliced
Salt
Honey & Mustard Salad dressing (see my recipe for it over here)
Spring Onions, finely chopped

Lay the beetroot & onion slices on a large platter. Sprinkle some salt over and pour the dressing over this. Allow to marinade in the fridge overnight. Just before serving, top with the finely chopped spring onions.