Wednesday, October 22, 2008

"There's No Such Thing As a Low Fat Brownie !"

You can dust the brownies with some cocoa powder if you like - I also added a few miniature pink rose petals, which amused my daughter no end !

“There’s no such thing as a low fat brownie” my husband said to me when I told him I was going to make these for tea last week “If you’re going to make brownies, you might as well make the real, full-fat version & enjoy them to the fullest !” Well, I went ahead and made the low fat version anyway, and they were quite tasty !

I try to keep the recipes on my blog as African or African inspired as possible and as you know, Brownies are not African but the fact that this is a low fat recipe, and the fact that they are made with yogurt, I thought that it would be an interesting recipe to include on the blog.

These brownies are not as ‘fudgy’ and dense as ‘real’ brownies are, but they still have a great chocolately taste. (Hubby had his with great dollops of tinned cream on the top .... which kind of defeats the low fat object of the recipe. Oh, well.)

This recipe originates from my mother, who got it out of a South African “Woman & Home” magazine -:


Low Fat Chocolate Brownies

2 Eggs, separated
200 gm Caster Sugar (fine sugar)
200 gm low fat natural Yogurt
1 ½ teaspoons vegetable Oil
175 gm self raising Flour (I used plain flour & added 2 level teaspoons of baking powder)
75 gm Cocoa powder (plus a little extra for dusting)

Preheat the oven to 190’C/375’F/Gas Mark 5. Brush a 30 cm x 20 cm baking tin with oil and dust with the extra cocoa powder. Mix egg yolks, sugar, yogurt and oil together. Sift the flour and cocoa powder & mix all together. Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form & then add a spoonful to the mixture and stir well to loosen, then gently fold in the rest of the whites. Pour into the baking tin (the batter will be quite stiff) and bake for 20 to 25 mins or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool for 5 mins, then turn out before cutting into squares.