Saturday, October 4, 2008

Victoria Sandwich Cake

This Victoria Sandwich Cake is light, fluffy ...... & delicious served with afternoon tea !

Fresh out of the oven, sandwiched together with tangy strawberry jam .... now all it needs is a nice cuppa tea .... mmmm

Victoria Sandwich Cakes always remind me of an old fashioned treat. The original recipe and origins of the cake date back to England in the 1800's - so I'm not surprised !

They are a great cake to make when you have no icing sugar in the house, because a simple dusting of sugar and a bit of jam is all that is needed to make them both pretty and tasty.

Last weekend my husband said he felt like a “vanilla type cake” and asked if I’d make him one (“pleeeeeze !”) Well, of course I jumped at the chance (not that I need an excuse) because you know how much I love baking ! I had not made this recipe for some time, but it was still just as good as I remembered it.

As luck would have it, I had this cake to serve with tea the following day when we had an unexpected visitor on the farm – needless to say, it was finished by that night !


Victoria Sandwich Cake (from “Cooking For Everyone” by “Good Housekeeping”)

175 gm Butter
175 gm Caster Sugar (very fine sugar)
3 Eggs, beaten
175 gm self-raising Flour
2 tbsp Jam (I use Strawberry)
Caster Sugar, to dredge

Butter two 18 cm sandwich tins & line the base of each with a round of buttered greaseproof paper. Beat the butter and sugar together until pale & fluffy. Add the eggs a little at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in half the flour, using a metal spoon, then fold in the rest.

Place half the mixture in each tin and level with a knife. Bake in the oven at 190’C/375’F/Gas Mark 5 for about 20 minutes, until they are risen, firm to the touch & beginning to shrink away from the sides of the tins. Turn out & cool on a wire rack.

When the cakes are cool, sandwich them together with the jam & sprinkle the top with caster sugar.