Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Couldn't-Be-Simpler Sausage Casserole

This casserole is great served with mashed potato - or even pasta !

When we returned from our recent trip to Nairobi, supplies in the house were a little low – especially things like fresh fruit & vegetables. Until I could get into town to do some grocery shopping, I made use of store cupboard ingredients and meat which I had in the freezer to come up with a few different meals.

Luckily I still had some onions (they keep forever !) & I always have tinned tomatoes in my pantry and a selection of dried seasonings, plus some frozen pork sausages at the back of the freezer – so I was all set to make my “Couldn’t Be Simpler Sausage Casserole”.

Here it is -: (You can see another of my easy pork sausage recipes for "Lazy Sausage Casserole" over here)


Couldn’t-Be-Simpler Sausage Casserole

1 x 400 gm pkt Pork Sausages
A little oil for frying
1 x 400 gm tin chopped Tomatoes
3 x medium Onions, sliced
½ a tin cold water
2 heaped tsps Mixed Dried Herbs
Garlic flakes – to taste
Salt & Black Pepper – to taste

Lightly fry the pork sausages in the oil until browned.

In a casserole dish, mix together the tinned tomatoes, onions, water, dried herbs, garlic, salt & pepper. Add the browned pork sausages to this mixture, turning to coat. Place (uncovered) in oven at 190’C/375’F/Gas Mark 5 and cook for 30 to 40 minutes until done, turning the sausages once or twice during the cooking process.

This dish goes well with mashed potato. (My husband even enjoys eating it with pasta !)