Saturday, November 1, 2008

Nicoise Salad - My Way !

I love serving this filling Nicoise salad on it's own for lunch, with perhaps some bread rolls on the side

Nicoise Salad is not a salad that I usually make as an ‘everyday’ salad. I usually make it as a meal in itself - usually for lunch and served with some fresh bread rolls on the side. It is also a salad which I will order when eating out at a restaurant (although I don’t know of a single restaurant, hotel, lodge or camp in the Northern region of the country that has Nicoise Salad on their menu. So I guess you could say that I only order it when traveling further afield !)

Of course a 'genuine' Nicoise Salad contains tuna aswell as black olives and cucumber. Some versions have seared tuna steaks added (yum !) instead of tinned tuna and yet others include ingredients such as potatoes and celery.

Mine doesn’t contain any of those, which is why I’ve called this “Nicoise Salad - My Way !” because this is the way that I like to make it (I do usually add tuna to the recipe below, but because the anchovies are so strong in flavour, I sometimes leave the tuna out if I am not in a particularly fishy mood).


Nicoise Salad – My Way !

Head of Lettuce
1 large Tomato, quartered
3 boiled Eggs, quartered
½ tin Green Beans
1 small tin of Anchovies (with capers – optional)

Dressing:
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
1 tsp crushed Garlic

Tear the lettuce leaves and put on a plate. Arrange the tomatoes, eggs, green beans and anchovies/capers on top of the lettuce. Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a separate bowl, then pour over the salad. Serve immediately.