Friday, December 26, 2008

Boxing Day on The Farm ...

The stockings are empty, the decorations beginning to droop - but I still have Christmas cards to enjoy, sent from friends & family all over the world

So, Christmas is behind us and we are celebrating Boxing Day here today. As a child I always grew up being taught that Boxing Day was so named because it was the day you boxed up all your leftovers and things you didn’t need, to give to people less fortunate than you. As I got all my food parcels ‘delivered’ the day before Christmas, I guess you could say that the 24th was actually my “Boxing Day” !

I can’t believe that Christmas has gone by so quickly ! We had a wonderful Christmas day yesterday, and got home to the farm quite late last night – completely full from all we had to eat, and feeling quite relaxed and lazy after a fun filled day spent with friends !

Today we’ve been invited to a lamb on a spit Boxing Day celebration but have passed on that one, instead we have some of our nearest and dearest friends coming out to the farm to spend some time with us – we haven’t seen them in ages so it will be lovely to catch up with them again, and it will generally be a very laid back and easy day.

We were all thoroughly spoiled yesterday, in fact I am embarrassed to even tell you what gifts I received because there were so many of them, my husband completely and utterly spoiled me as did my parents and amongst all my presents I received some wonderful new African cook books - so watch this space !

I also received a very special present this year – one which came a little earlier than Christmas and I will be posting about that special present soon. (Hint – a living, breathing ‘present’ with a wet black nose and a wagging tail !) On New Year’s day I will also share some very special news with everyone on my blog, as this news will relate a lot to what I will be doing in the new year 2009 !

Well, I suppose I’d better be off now as my husband is busy trying to fly a kite in the garden with my daughter (this was one of her Christmas gifts), my Dad is watching the cricket and my Mum is on the veranda reading a new book and I want to go and spend some time with all of them before our guests arrive.

Wishing you all a wonderful Boxing Day !