Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A New Year's Walk Through My Garden ...

Our garden is looking very green at the moment (lots of rainfall before Christmas) and a little tangled and overgrown (our gardeners have been off a lot over the Christmas holidays). I look at my garden - which is around 3 acres in size - & often think that I really should make more of an effort with it, but to be honest I am not really a gardening person - it is enjoyable to garden, but not something I'm keen to do on a regular basis. (Not like cooking and baking, which I just couldn't live without doing at least daily !) Anyway, here my garden is as it looks today - warts and all - for you to enjoy ! The photo above is a view of our house taken from our fruit orchard area .... you can just make it out between all the foilage !

A few days before New Year, a large Kite suddenly started visiting our garden for water. He's been here every day since, & I wonder why he has suddenly appeared and hope that it isn't because the tree he lives in has been chopped down somewhere. At first glance, we thought he was a large bird of prey & my husband said to me "Watch out for the cats - especially the smaller ones" as birds of prey can carry cats off in their talons ! You can see him sitting above, perched on our bird bath.

My lifeline to the outside world - our internet satellite dish. No one dare touch it incase it's set off balance & I lose contact ! I once caught Hemmed happily washing it with a bucket of hot soapy water "STOP !" I shouted and he thought "Oh no, Mama's in one of those moods again !" It's as slow as dial-up *sigh* and we go online, offline, online, offline a hundred times a day. But I'll take it over no connection at all anyday !

Delicious Monsters (the cats love hiding under these !) - we had them growing in abundance in our garden in Rhodesia (Zimbabwe), and they grow really well here in East Africa, too. They bear an edible fruit which when ripe taste like a cross between a pineapple & a banana. Or so I'm told (I have no desire to try it !) They are most commonly potted as house plants, but these ones grow "wild" and the leaves are huge.

I'm trying to introduce some more colour into my garden, and am also going to be planting a whole batch of new herbs for the new year, so I'll post more about these in the future.

I hope you enjoyed the quick walk through my garden. Now would you like to join me on to the veranda for a nice cuppa tea ?