Sunday, January 4, 2009

Tanzanian Red Snapper in a Kilimanjaro Beer Batter

The additon of Kilimanjaro lager to the batter, made this red snapper a 100% local recipe !

On our recent trip to the Tanzanian coastal town of Pangani, we were lucky enough to eat some freshly caught Red Snapper, and also to bring some home with us. We decided to cook it ‘fish & chips’ style, in a nice batter.

I think that when cooking fish in batter you have to have a really nice, light batter else the whole dish will be ruined. I always use Ainsley Harriott’s batter recipe as not only is he my favourite ‘celebrity’ cook, but I also love his recipes !

I used our locally brewed and great tasting (according to my husband, as I am not a beer drinker !) Kilimanjaro lager to make this batter. Of course I love to support local Tanzanian produce and if that weren’t enough, some of the barley used to make this lager is grown on our neighbours farm (the ones we spent Christmas day with)– I don’t think you get more local than that !


Tanzanian Red Snapper in Kilimanjaro Beer Batter (Ainsley Harriott’s Deep Fried Cod in Beer Batter, from his book “Gourmet Express”)

4 x 175 gm pieces of Cod (I used Red Snapper for this recipe)
Salt & freshly ground black Pepper
200 gm plain Flour, plus extra for dusting
½ tsp Salt
1 Egg, beaten
330 ml bottle of Beer (I used a tin of our locally produced “Kilimanjaro Premium Lager”)
Vegetable Oil, for deep frying
Lemon wedges, to garnish

Lightly season the fish & dust with the flour. Sift the flour and the salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre, crack the egg & gradually add the beer, stirring continuously, to make a smooth, frothy batter.

Dip the fish in the batter, making sure it is well covered, and shake off any excess. Deep-fry in hot oil for 4-5 minutes until crisp & golden. Drain on kitchen paper & serve hot, garnished with the lemon wedges.

TRY THIS : This quantity of batter is more than enough for 4 pieces of fish, so why not try dipping a few extras, such as red onion rings, to serve on the side ?