Sunday, February 8, 2009

Making Doughnuts (Donuts) At Home

I topped some of the doughnuts with glace icing & sprinkles

The rest of the doughuts were rolled first in warmed apricot jam and then in brown sugar

Ahhhh … doughnuts ! (Or …. donuts … as they are spelt in other parts of the world). I don’t eat them very often (for a start, I know of only one place in our local city here which actually makes them) but when I do, I really enjoy them. (As long as they are not too oily !)

My husband has been asking me since late last year, if I could make some for him sometime. They do take some time to make, and as I’m not a great fan of deep-fried foods, I kept on putting it off – poor hubby ! Anyway, when he kept on asking me every few weeks, and again in the new year, I decided to make a large batch to satisfy his doughnut craving !

Here is the recipe I use, which comes from a great South African cookbook “The Cape Malay Cookbook”. Don’t be alarmed by the use of 3 raising agents (yeast, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda) as this, I think, is part of the ‘secret’ of this recipe. I can assure you that these doughnuts taste even better than the ‘real’ thing and as good as – actually, even better than – those churned out by the well known doughnut franchises.

My only tip would be that these have to be eaten on the day you make them, to enjoy them at their very best -:


Doughnuts (from “The Cape Malay Cookbook” by Faldela Williams)

65 ml Sugar
60 ml melted Butter or Margarine
125 ml boiling Water
15 ml active dried Yeast
1 Egg, beaten
125 ml Milk
500 gm cake Flour
15 ml Baking Powder
pinch Bicarbonate of Soda
pinch Salt
5 ml Vanilla Essence
750 ml Sunflower Oil

Combine sugar, butter & boiling water and, when cooled, add yeast. Stir in beaten egg and milk. Sift flour & baking powder, then add, with the bicarbonate of soda, salt & vanilla essence to the butter mixture. Mix to a very soft dough. Set aside to rise, covered, until doubled in bulk (about 2 hours). Roll dough out into a thick coil about 5 cm in diameter and cut off 3 cm strips. Shape into longish doughnuts or ring doughnuts & set aside for 30 minutes to rise again. Fry in moderately hot oil for 5 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned. Drain in a colander or on absorbent paper.

Toppings : I like to roll my doughnuts in a little smooth apricot jam which has been heated slightly, then roll them in brown sugar afterwards. I also like to coat them in a plain glace icing (use around 250 ml icing sugar to 60 ml water) and sprinkle some “hundred & thousands” (coloured sugar strands) over the top.

It’s best to eat these doughnuts the same day that you make them, as they taste best when served fresh !