Thursday, February 5, 2009

Today It's All About Ice Cream - and Women !

"Twiga" (which means "Giraffe" in the local Tanzanian language of Kiswahili) stands guard over my pasta & rice storage jars on a shelf in my kitchen (he also keeps an eye out for husbands & children who steal biscuits & treats from the biscuit jar when they shouldn't be!)

I’ve been lucky in that during the year since my blog has been up & running many websites have picked up on it and contacted me to publish my posts (mostly recipes) on their sites. In turn, this has brought me more traffic and readers which may not have otherwise found my blog.

The majority of my posts (around 65) have been picked up and published online by Reuters and the Chicago Sun-Times. I still find it hard to believe that thoughts and words which I sit typing out on my computer in a remote corner of Africa are being read all around the world, by hundreds of people every day when in all likelihood the only adult I will have a proper conversation with ‘in person’ for weeks on end is my husband, and in all likelihood the only people I will come into contact with for just as many weeks will be my daughter, my husband & our 4 house/garden staff. Yet thoughts & things about my everyday life are read the world over by more people than I would ever meet or see here in months – the wonders of ‘modern technology’, hey ?!

Aside from the obvious bonus of boosting my readership, and the wonderful people I have met through blogging, the main reason I am happy about my blog being published all over the web, is because it is helping to spread the word about Tanzania, and what a beautiful country she is to visit ! I also hope to provide a more positive image of Africa to the outside world, a taste of the ‘real’ Africa as seen through my eyes, and one which perhaps many people do not always get to see.

Now, whilst I do not have outside links on my blog to different websites, these are 2 who have published posts or recipes of mine who I assured I would mention on my blog, as a thank you for doing so and if you have the time, please do click on the links and visit them, as both are great sites with lots of interesting information.

Firstly, there is Jenn’s website Serving Ice Cream which covers everything from ice cream recipes to ice cream gifts, to what you need to set up your own ice cream business aswell as ice cream shops around the world & I was happy to put Tanzania on the map when Jenn asked me if I could write about the Boma Ice Cream Centre which I wrote about last year in my post “Ice Cream Kids”. You can read what Jenn published about this little Tanzanian ice cream shop over here !

Then there is All4Women which is a great South African website which covers everything from Health to Parenting to Relationships, Cars, News and more … in fact, it has a little of everything & is also a nice, clutter-free site which isn’t filled with annoying ads or pop-up’s ! All4Women has published quite a few of my recipes, with some like the recent one I did for Pork Schnitzels, even featuring in their newsletter as “Recipe of the Week” (they have a great selection of newsletters which you can sign up for). Their recipe index makes browsing easy with clearly laid out categories and thumbnail photo’s of each dish, to whet your appetite !

I hope that you enjoy browsing the above 2 websites and I just want to thank you all once again for reading me as often as you do, and for all the wonderful people I have met through the blog - and for all the wonderful blogs I read daily – with the click of my mouse I can be transported anywhere in the world and right into your homes and catch a glimpse into your lives – and I enjoy each and every visit with you all !