Friday, March 20, 2009

Sweetcorn Fritters

I prefer to bake, rather than fry, these sweetcorn fritters - but either way, they're very tasty !

Living on a farm & being so far away from shops, I always have lots of tinned goods in my pantry and have come up with many recipes over the years which use tinned products as main ingredients – especially things like tinned beans, chickpeas and sweetcorn.

Here is an easy recipe for sweetcorn fritters which I typically bake instead of fry, to lower the fat content a little (but Ssshhhhh …… don’t tell my husband !)

These are great served as a light lunch with salad and bread rolls, and I also sometimes serve them as a vegetable side dish accompanying our main evening meal.

Adding the cayenne pepper is optional (I choose to leave it out so that it’s more child friendly !) and if you’re feeling particularly decadent, you can add ½ cup grated Cheddar Cheese to the batter for cheesy sweetcorn fritters !

These fritters are lovely served with some chutney or sweet chilli sauce on the side -:


Sweetcorn Fritters

1 ½ cups Sweetcorn, drained (a 272 gm drained weight tin)
1 cup Flour
¼ cup Milk
1 Egg, beaten
1 tsp Baking Powder
pinch of Salt
½ tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional) and / or
½ cup grated Cheddar Cheese (optional)
Oil for frying

Mix all the ingredients together until you have a batter with quite a sloppy consistency. Drop teaspoonfuls into hot oil & fry on both sides until golden. I prefer to bake my fritters instead – simply drop teaspoonfuls of the batter onto a baking sheet which has been sprayed with non-stick spray, & then lightly spray the tops of the fritters too, before baking at 190’C/375’F/Gas Mark 5 for around 30 - 40 minutes until done, turning once during the cooking time.