Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Homemade Apple Sauce

Homemade apple sauce is very easy to make, tastes great & best of all - is preservative free !

Tinned apples are hard to come by here, as is apple sauce. I usually order cases of apple sauce from Holland with a big food order I place each year (you can read about last year’s order over here).

At the moment, I have no apple sauce in my pantry (my 2009 Dutch food order is floating on the ocean on a container ship somewhere between Europe and Africa at the moment !) so I have resorted to making my own again. I usually make this to serve with pork chops or roast pork -:


Homemade Apple Sauce

4 Apples (cored, peeled & chopped)
1 ½ tbsp brown Sugar (or to taste)
1 ¼ cups cold Water

Place the apple pieces, sugar & water in a small pot & stir to blend. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat to simmer for around 30 minutes until the apples are soft. Remove from the heat (there should be very little liquid left at this stage – around 3 tablespoons or so – no need to drain) & blend with a hand blender until smooth. (You can keep this in a covered container in the fridge for a few days.)