Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Part 3 Of Our Safari To The Ngorongoro Crater

(If you'd like to read the first two posts about this safari, you can read Part 1 over here, and Part 2 over here). I took the photo above from the wooden veranda deck off the main lodge lounge. The dining room, bar and lounge are housed in the same building - with the dining room upstairs and the bar/lounge downstairs. As you can tell, all have magnificent views out over the Ngorongoro Crater.

The photo above shows a wall feature in the lounge - bushmen paintings (well, copies of them I should say !) can be found throughout the lodge and in all the bedrooms, too. They give the lodge quite a unique feel, I must say. Along with the uneven wall surfaces due to the rounded stones beneath them - who needs framed pictures, anyway ?!


The photo above shows a side view of the veranda deck outside the lounge - I was standing here when I took the first/top photo. I imagine that on a sunny day (it was a little overcast and rainy when we were there) they may even put dining tables and chairs out here - it would make a great spot for afternoon tea and cake to be served !

This photo above shows our bedroom. (Note the bushmen style paintings on the walls again - lovely !) We had a family room and it was quite spacious with a small private entrance/ passageway and walk in closet (with separate luggage storage area) which led through to a very roomy bathroom with shower, toilet and large vanity slab/basin. Both the bedroom and bathroom had heaters that were on all the time, as it does get quite cold here at night.


Our bedroom had it's own private wooden veranda deck with incredible views out over the Crater. I took the photo above from our veranda and once again, couldn't help but think how almost "English Countryside-ish" it looked - I have never seen the Crater area looking so green before.

The last photo which you see here above, was taken from our bedroom veranda the morning before we left. I simply love the reflection of the blue African sky and clouds in the water in this photo. The night before, on returning from dinner, the moon was full and low and reflected in the water and was a sight to behold. By the time I'd finished settling our baby son and found my camera, the moon was covered in cloud so I was unable to take a decent photo of it. (Oh well, that's a good excuse to return sometime in the future for another try, isn't it ?!)

I hope that you enjoyed coming on safari to the magnificent Ngorongoro Crater with me ! (We did not go down into the actual Crater to view game this time - although we have before - as apart from being very busy down there with lots of vehicles, it is a very long trip for a 5 year old and a 7 month old - and extremely boring, too - if you're that age !)

On Friday, I have a special post relating to all 3 of the recent posts I've written about the Crater which I hope you'll enjoy - something different, and nothing seen before on "Food, Fun & Farm Life In East Africa !" - so I'll see you then, okay ?