Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Tanzanian Taxis !

Tanzanian taxi's are usually beautifully decorated & often showcase things such as the taxi owner's favourite sports team or musician

The majority of Tanzanian taxi's (or 'dala dala's' as they are called locally) are beautifully decorated with all manner of pictures, quotes and advertisements written on their sides, doors & even roof tops ! The taxi names / themes change frequently ... for example, around 1999 we had a spurt of 'Millenium' themed taxi's on the streets and recently we've had many 'Obama' themed taxi's. Some Taxi owners also like to decorate their taxi's with their favourite religious quotes and e.g. pictures of Jesus (or John Lennon !), yet others like everyone to know which sports team/club they support.

Part of my ancestral roots (on my father's side - he is British) lie in Liverpool, England and my father has supported the
Liverpool Football Club his entire life (some of my earliest childhood memories are of him listening to the weekend matches on our transistor radio in 1970's Rhodesia - and thinking how noisy it all sounded !)

So, when I happened to see this taxi driving in front of us in the city the other day, I just had to take a photo of it. (I hope that all my UK readers - no matter which team they support - will enjoy it !) Tanzanian's love watching football and many local bars often screen the matches on TV for patrons to enjoy. Many of these TV's are often run on generator power if no electricity exists in that specific building/part of the village. Some places may even charge a small entrance fee to watch the match !

I must admit that I have never been, nor will I ever be a 'sporty' person and don't enjoy watching sports - unless
this man is playing, of course. In fact, he could probably convert me and I must admit that I would probably support any team he played for - ha ! Pity it was only a rumour last year that he was planning on climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro in the near future *sigh* but a girl can always dream, can't she ?!

(If you'd like to see some incredible photo's of someone getting a 'discounted taxi fare' on a Tanzanian taxi & the post I wrote about this almost 2 years ago - then you really should click here and prepare to be amused ! There's a link at the bottom of that post to some more 'crazy - free ride' taxi photo's, too !)