Thursday, March 25, 2010

This & That .....

The sunset from our veranda last week ....

Is it just me, or is the blogging world rather quiet at the moment ? People just don’t seem to be posting as much – maybe everyone is taking it easy as Easter approaches. (Gosh, seems like just yesterday we were talking about Christmas and now it’s almost Easter - where IS 2010 going to ?!)

We’ve been having some much needed rain on the farm this week – which has been a great relief as the situation was getting pretty desperate (with crops planted to meet deadlines and no sign of any rain). We were planning on going away for the Easter weekend but due to the rain, those plans have been put on hold for the time being as we now need to get on with planting.

Instead of going away, we’ve invited some friends out to the farm over Easter, and on Good Friday we are off to our neighbour’s for afternoon tea and an Easter egg hunt ! (Yes, the Easter bunny does know how to find his way all the way out to Kilimanjaro’s foothills !) Easter eggs are very scarce here and are one of the most difficult things to buy each year, so this coming week I am on a *mission* to find as many eggs as I can in the big city – or possibly have to end up making my own this year ?

I’ve recently added the new Blogger ‘Pages’ element to my blog – yay to the clever Blogger people for introducing this – long awaited – blogging feature. So now you can click on the tabs at the top of the blog to find out more – ‘About Me’, ‘Contact Me’ & ‘Recipe Conversions’ and I hope to add a few more pages (like ‘About This Blog’) soon. The ‘Recipe Conversions’ page will tell you all you need to know about converting the recipes on this blog into measurements which suit you, as well as a few other tips and things. (Remember, too, that if you scroll to the very bottom of the blog you will find the ‘Conversion Calculator’ which will also convert weights etc for you.)

I’ve added a new ‘Visitors Map’ recently, too (scroll to the bottom of the blog for this). It’s a rotating globe and aside from recording the location of everyone who’s ever visited the blog (by means of a small red dot) shows the current country flag/location of each visitor browsing the blog in ‘real time’ - I find it quite fun to see which ‘countries’ are reading at the same time as me as I pop in and out during the day to moderate comments etc (as I type this now, there is someone reading from Prahran Victoria & someone else from Berkhamstead, Buckinghamshire – hello there to you both !)

On a more personal (& completely un blog related) note, as you know we’re often waaaay behind the rest of the world here in Africa and a case in point - my l’il sister (who lives in the waaaaay ahead UK) has been nagging me for ages now to do myself a favour and watch this series (which apparently took the world by storm … starting a couple of years ago !) on DVD – I have the first 3 series and recently started watching it and oh my, I’m completely hooked …. so late night blogging has taken a back seat for a while. (So if I disappear for a while, you know it’s probably because I’m lost somewhere on a mysterious island, surviving in the jungle ……)