Thursday, June 24, 2010

Healthy Oat & Date Muffins

These Healthy Oat & Date Muffins make a tasty tea time treat, and freeze well too


These Healthy Oat and Date muffins make a great breakfast or tea time treat. They are also nice for school lunch boxes.

As they only stay fresh for a couple of days, when I made these last week I wrapped each one individually in plastic film & froze them. Now all I have to do is remove one from the freezer and defrost it before putting it into my daughter’s lunchbox – which is great for those days when I’m in a hurry, or for when I’m running short of lunchbox ideas !


Healthy Oat & Date Muffins

1 ¼ cups Flour (I use white, but you could use wholemeal or a mix of both if you like)
¾ cup Oats (breakfast/porridge variety)
¾ cups Dates, roughly chopped (& stones removed)
½ cup brown Sugar
3 ½ tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Salt
1 Egg, beaten
1 cup Milk (I use Skim/Fat Free)
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
¼ cup Sunflower Oil

Mix the flour, oats, dates, sugar, baking powder & salt together in one bowl. In a separate bowl mix together the egg, milk, vanilla essence and oil. Then blend the wet & dry ingredients together – stir just to blend, do not over mix (the mixture will be a little bit lumpy, but don’t worry). Place spoonfuls into lightly greased muffin cups at bake at 190’C/375’F/Gas Mark 5 for around 20 minutes until done. Makes 12 decent sized muffins.