Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter & Homeward Bound ...

The Easter Bunny was very generous !

We’ve had a wonderful Easter Sunday – apart from spending the day without my husband, of course - but we will all be reunited again soon ! We spent a wonderful last day with my parents. The day began with a hunt in the garden for eggs kindly left by the “Easter bunny” … my daughter simply loved this, and collected a basket full of eggs in all different shapes and sizes (which she very sweetly offered to share with all of us !)

For breakfast we had a selection of croissants from one of the local bakeries - chocolate, cheese and raisin – yum !

My Dad then cooked us a delicious lunch of roast leg of beef complete with gravy, Yorkshire puddings (my Mum’s speciality), carrots, peas, roast potatoes and roast onions. This was finished off with a simple yet tasty dessert of warmed blackberries and vanilla ice cream.

I forgot to mention the freshly baked hot cross buns we had with tea …. so as you can tell, it’s been a food & fun filled day !

This afternoon I got my Mum to take some close-up pics of me so that I can update my blog profile pic, and of course I took lots of food photo’s which I hope to post on here soon.

The good news is that we have managed to get a confirmed flight home for tomorrow, we were waitlisted and it has now come through so that is great. The tricky thing is that from tomorrow the airline have a “new system” in place which means that our flight home is not a direct one, but we have a layover and change of ‘planes in Dar es Salaam. All a bit sketchy at the moment and it is usually chaos that end, so I am preparing myself for the worst as nothing ever really runs smoothly in Africa ! (This flight has been known to divert via Zimbabwe and passengers only advised mid-flight, or to simply be cancelled at the drop of a hat – so I HOPE to be home tomorrow night – but who knows ?).

My luggage is around 19 kg’s over my allowance. Nothing new for me, as I always travel home “overweight” so will try every trick in the book to get as much through as I can …. If not, the excess rate per kg is not too bad (R70 per kg which is around U$10 ?) and well worth it as I have many items in my luggage which we can’t buy in Tanzania.

So much has happened on the farm since I’ve been away (a stray cat I was trying to tame before I left has been “coming for dinner” according to my husband, the old donkey boiler has been replaced, a swing has been built for my daughter and a new veggie patch made, to mention but a few things) … plus all the news and recipes from my South African trip … so be prepared for lots of new posts from me this coming week, as well as new photo’s … I’m looking forward to it as I think I’ve been suffering from “blog withdrawal” (but have made up for it with shopping spree’s instead !).

Until then …