Sunday, April 20, 2008

Colleen's Savoury Swirls

I made these with a Bolognese filling, but you could also use cheese or Marmite (Vegemite) instead

My sister, Colleen, is a great cook and I always look forward to eating at her house. (The only problem being that she now lives in the UK - so it’s a bit far to pop over for a regular Saturday night dinner, if you know what I mean !)

I remember when we were teenagers, she had a pizza recipe which she used to make for us which was absolutely out of this world. She refused to let us (me, my Mum) have a copy of the recipe, and always banished us from the kitchen when she was making it, so that we wouldn’t discover the “secret ingredients” and method used to make it ! (I remember using that as an excuse when I was found snooping in her bedroom one day and reading her diary “I was only looking for THE pizza recipe !”)

Of course we were just kids at the time and I think that as we grew into adulthood she must’ve eventually shared the recipe with me, because the other day I came across it in one of my hand written recipe books “Colleen’s Top Secret Pizza recipe” …

Anyway, my sister is also mother to my adorable niece and nephew and as she has been packing school lunch boxes for close on 5 years now (as you know, I’ve only been packing them for close on 1 week !) she recently shared one of her favourite school lunch box filler recipes with me - “Savoury Swirls”. She created the recipe herself some time back.

I made these yesterday … smaller ones for lunch boxes and larger ones which we enjoyed with salad for supper. They really are tasty – and luckily, not “Top Secret” so I can share the recipe with you all here -:


Colleen’s Savoury Swirls

250 gm Butter / Margarine
250 gm Grated Cheddar Cheese
375 gm Flour
5 ml Baking powder
pinch of Salt
Filling of your choice (Bolognese sauce or Marmite/Vegemite/Cheese)

Mix all the ingredients together (except for the filling) to form a soft dough. Gently roll the dough out onto a sheet of wax paper/plastic wrap roughly into a square shape. Spread the pastry square with Marmite/Vegemite/grated Cheese or Bolognese Sauce (find my recipe for that here).

Gently roll up (as you would a swiss roll) & allow to cool in the fridge for about 20 minutes (this makes it easier to slice). Remove from fridge & cut into slices, lay slices on a greased baking sheet & bake for about 15 minutes at 180 °C/350’F/Gas Mark 4.

You can also use shop bought puff pastry for this recipe.