Saturday, April 19, 2008

A Day of Food, Fun and .... Gardening !

These are just some of the herb seeds we sowed in to old yogurt trays

I’ve had a really productive day today. I spent the morning in my kitchen and thankfully the rain held off so I was able to work in the garden in the afternoon.

My day started with baking a batch of bread rolls for the weekend. I then went on to make a special recipe of my sister’s which I will be posting about soon, and a great salad which we had for lunch – yum !

After lunch I went out in to the garden with my daughter and the dogs (a few of the cats were nosing around, too). I love my Saturday and Sunday afternoon’s when all the house and garden staff are off duty, because this means that I can potter to my heart’s content without being watched !

I started by planting some rocket, thyme, sweet basil and sacred basil into seed trays. (Or should I say - recycled yogurt pot holder trays and empty plastic margarine tubs !) I then got stuck in to my well established pots of herbs (Basil, Thyme and Coriander) and weeded them out, snipped off the seeds and tidied them up.

While I was doing this, I noticed several Nasturtium seedlings which were about 10 cm tall and were growing in a lawn the gardener’s had recently planted for me (I’ve just had them grass over a huge flower bed that ran the length of our veranda and made it difficult to access the lawn without having to walk around it all the time). So, I decided to transplant them in to another flower bed to fill a gap between the Hydrangeas and Agapanthus.

I also planted some Thyme seeds directly into one of my flower beds, underneath a large shrub as I have heard that Thyme makes a lovely border plant and the established thyme which I already have, looks pretty hardy and bushy so I am going to give it a try ….

My daughter had great fun “helping” and digging for earth worms, which she collected in a small container. “Mummy” she said to me at one stage (I was busy digging and had my back to her) “I’ve just kissed an earth worm !” I spun around and said to her “No ! You mustn’t put them near your mouth !” and she just looked completely unfazed and said “Why not ?” (Kids, ‘eh ?!)

After my busy day I must admit that I’m now feeling pretty tired and my husband and I are just about to go and crash on the couch and watch one of the DVD’s we brought back from our recent holiday in the UK. Saturday night is “movie night” in our house, after our daughter goes to bed – we buy recently released DVD’s as and when we travel, and then we ‘ration’ them out so that we always have new movies to look forward to on a Saturday night !

So it’s goodnight from me, until tomorrow then …..