Saturday, April 19, 2008

Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream

Who doesn't enjoy a delicious bowl of homemade ice cream ?!

Mmmmm, Ice Cream - I don’t know of anyone who doesn’t enjoy it ! It is so versatile and one of my “must have” freezer stock items.

When we lived very far away from the ‘Big City’ (a trip which could not be done there and back in a day as we do now, but required an overnight stop) I had no hope of buying ice cream and bringing it back to the farm with me. Even in a cooler box carefully packed with ice packs, it never made it home without turning into a slushy mess.

So, I had to find the perfect ice cream recipe that I could make at home without an ice cream maker. The other ‘problem’ I had to overcome was finding an ice cream recipe that did not contain eggs as there was NO way I was going to start eating raw eggs, especially those ‘produced’ here in 3rd world Africa !

So, once again I turned to my old favourite “Cook and Enjoy It” by S.J.A. de Villiers, where I found this recipe which I have been using ever since -:


Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream

1 tsp Gelatine, soaked in 1 tbsp cold water
¾ cup boiling Water
½ cup Sugar
1 tin (410 gm) Evaporated Milk (chilled overnight)
1 tsp Vanilla Essence (Vanilla Extract works best, if you have it)

Dissolve the soaked gelatine in the boiling water & then add the sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved & cool. Shake the evaporated milk well, pour it into a bowl and beat until it thickens & resembles cream (I use an electric mixer for this).

Slowly add the Vanilla essence (or extract) & sugar mixture to the milk, beating constantly. Pour the mixture into a large plastic container and freeze for 45 minutes. (It will only be partially frozen.)

Return the mixture to the mixing bowl & beat again (to break all the ice crystals up). Then pour back in to the plastic container & put back in the freezer.

If you like, you can then make my 'Diet Friendly Chocolate Sauce' recipe (which you can find here) to pour over it.

Or, if you’d like chocolate instead of vanilla ice cream you can change the above recipe a bit -:

Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream – Blend 4 tbsp Cocoa powder (or 2 squares of unsweetened good quality melted chocolate) with ¼ cup hot water & stir until smooth. Add this to the hot (sugar) mixture and still use the Vanilla essence/extract.