Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Ironing Day in Africa !

Justin - ironing with a view !

Almost all the homes here in Tanzania are built with verandas – mostly large, wrap-around ones and these are usually an extension of the main living area of the house. I suppose it’s because of the heat (much cooler to be out than in) and also because of the fact that almost everywhere (especially in this area) you have fantastic views out over Kilimanjaro and Mt Meru.

We have a large veranda running the length of part of our kitchen and the dining room, main lounge and TV lounge. We also have a smaller veranda off our main bedroom area – which we never use. The main veranda has a dining table and chairs on the one side along with a serving table (great for entertaining) and on the other side there is an outdoor sofa set, coffee table and a chest freezer. My daughter also has a tricycle, kiddies “castle” tent and plastic ironing board set up here and a play table and blackboard, too. Oh, yes, and I also have cushions and blankets set up here for my stray village dogs who come and sleep here at night.

The veranda is covered and is waterproof and is a lovely place to sit when there is a huge rainstorm going on around you, whilst you sit nice and cozily looking out on it !

Anyway, as usual I am ‘beating around the bush’ … what I really wanted to tell you is that the veranda is where Justin does his ironing. He puts a thick blanket (bought on a previous trip to Nairobi, Kenya – isn’t it nice and colourful ?) on top of the dining table, and irons away in the African heat (mind you, it’s been pretty chilly here lately !) as he looks out over the wheat fields and mountains beyond. (I reckon he has one of the most scenic ironing spots in the world !)

I’m very lucky as I have staff to do all my housework for me, but when we travel overseas and stay with relatives, then I have to do the ironing myself again. Which makes me realize how fortunate I am, having all the ironing done for me at home. When we were in the UK for Christmas, I was ironing one morning at my mother-in-law’s home and my daughter came through, shocked and said to me “Mummy, what ARE you doing ? That’s Justin’s job !” Well of course I had to switch the iron off and sit her down for a little chat !

Please don’t laugh – I know that this is the year 2008 – but I also own a coal iron ! This is for times when the electricity is not forthcoming (or the electric iron is broken). Then Justin has to place hot coals in the base of the iron and iron away. Now THAT is hard work as the coal iron is very heavy. As many people in Tanzania live without electricity, coal irons are not that uncommon.
So, there you have it … my story about just another load of ironing in Africa !