Friday, September 5, 2008

A Tour of My Kitchen .....

Seeing as most of what I write about on my blog originates from my kitchen (well, all the food stuff at least !) I thought that you might like to take a closer look at it. It's a real old farm kitchen with an open storeroom (pantry) attached to it. (Everyone has a “junk” room in their home where they store bits and pieces, don’t they ? Well, our room is this storeroom – so you won’t be seeing any photo’s of THAT – ha ha !) It is neat, just cluttered.

Oh and Tammy (above) ‘lives’ on top of a large, heavy cupboard in there which I use for storing spare sets of crockery, vases, glassware and baking tins. By “live” I mean that she likes to sleep up there (& you know how much cats sleep !) – curled up on top of a hand knitted angora rabbit jersey. (This is also the room where you will find my magical vegetable storage cupboard.)

So - this is my kitchen above. Well the main part of it – if you are standing in the storeroom and looking out, this is what you will see. I photographed this bit as the other parts were tricky to get good photo’s of. I have a wooden dining table & chairs in the one corner where we eat lunch everyday – you can just make the corner of this out in the bottom left of the photo. The wooden cupboard you see in this photo came with the house. It is beautiful, solid wood underneath but the previous Manager’s wife painted over it in this blue & green paint. (I can’t bear it when people paint over gorgeous old wood – especially in garish colours like this). Maybe one day I’ll get around to scraping it down. A carpenter friend examined the cupboard & said that it is very old and has been very well made (by hand).

On the “box” shelf (which I had ‘specially made) above this cupboard are some of my recipe books – well, the ones that I use the most. I have more that are stored in a bookshelf in our home office. I collect old food tins, a very small part of my collection is on the top of this shelf (I hide treats from my daughter - & husband ! - in some of these, and Justin keeps money in the smaller ones for buying eggs etc. Ssshhhh. It’s a secret !)

On the (green – eeeeek - more green !) shelf below that are a collection of special objects … aside from the functional stuff like the jars of pasta, food scale and condiments are little things from my travels that mean something to me, & a framed photo of my beloved cat, Jessica, who died tragically 2 years ago. (Jessica is Tammy’s Mum and Ollie’s sister). She watches over me when I’m in the kitchen everyday. I also have a little silver dog there that holds my rings over his tail, as I always remove them when kneading dough etc.

To the far right is the microwave (only “usable” when the generator is on) & the front door (which leads out onto the veranda where I killed the snake that time).

Oh yes, and before I go I thought you’d like to see the view (above) which Justin & I have each day as we look out of the kitchen windows (which run the length of the main work surface area and sinks). You can just make out my daughter’s sandpit in the distance & my pots of herbs beyond it, too.

I love my kitchen and it certainly is the heart of our home - I hope you enjoyed seeing it through my eyes today. (You're welcome to stop by next time you're in the area & have a nice cuppa tea with me at my kitchen table, okay ?!)