Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Mealie Meal Pap (or Uji Porridge)

Mealie Meal Pap, or Uji Porridge, is an African porridge made from finely ground maize meal. (Here I have served it with brown sugar, butter & milk.)

I love cooked porridge and I eat Oatmeal porridge for breakfast every single day of my life (as I have for the past 5 years !) … so far, I have not yet tired of it.

Of course I also love eating traditional cooked porridge which is made from finely ground maize meal or what is called “Mealie Meal” in South Africa. (I’ve published several recipes on my blog using Maize meal – click on any of the following to see the recipe - Mealie Meal Bread, Mealie Meal Muffins, Mealie Meal Pap.

This porridge is called ‘Uji’ porridge in East Africa and in South Africa it is called ‘Mealie Meal Pap’. Whatever you prefer to call it, it is absolutely delicious and this is how I make mine (based on the South African method) -:

Mealie Meal Pap (or Uji Porridge)

4 tbsp Maize Meal
½ tsp Salt
¼ cup cold Water
2 ½ to 3 cups cold Water
Brown sugar, butter & milk – to serve

Blend the maize meal, salt & ¼ cup water together to form a smooth paste. Meanwhile, bring 2 ½ to 3 cups (depending on the size of your pot) of cold water to the boil. Once boiling, add the paste to it and stir to prevent lumps forming. Turn the heat down and allow to simmer (stirring occasionally) for about 12 to 15 minutes. Serve sprinkled with brown sugar, a few small knobs of butter and a splash of cold milk.