Sunday, November 2, 2008

Hauntingly Beautiful - An Old German Homestead .....

Do you believe that certain places have a 'pull' that just seems to draw you in, as if speaking to you ? I do. Africa is a very spiritual place. One of the reasons (my own belief) is that this is where mankind began - East Africa in particular. When I first laid eyes on the old German homestead on the next door farm (abandoned by the German family who built and lived in it, sometime in the early 1960's) I felt an irresistable pull. I felt as though the house were calling out to me, beckoning me.

So, of course I went to explore it - with 2 female friends who were visiting at the time. We went inside, and it was - eerily - much as I imagined it was all those years ago - still beautiful, yet faded. Tarnished mirrors hang in the main lounges, empty coat & hat pegs hang in the entrance hall - the window panes are broken, the roof is caving in, damp is eating away at the foundations .... the bare rooms echo and beg for their secrets to be discovered .... the once landscaped garden, overgrown. Whose children used to play here, I wonder ? What meals were cooked in the stone floored kitchen ? What events were celebrated here, in what was all those years ago, an even remoter spot than it is today ?
I've travelled to many places in Africa, many different countries on this beautiful continent and I can honestly say that no other place has had this sort of an effect on me. This pull. This little house - when I am there, I am engulfed with a feeling of pure joy and peace. I feel that there are many happy memories here, and the house and surrounding area have a feeling of goodness about them. Goodness, and happiness. Yes, that's it. And, will you look at these views ? The house sits with Kilimanjaro towering over her, and Mt Meru in front. The views are part of what make her so very special ..... imagine waking up to this every day ?! Just imagine !

I ache, I yearn, to know more about this house and the people who loved her. I have sent word out to the villages nearby, asking if there is anyone, a village elder, who perhaps remembers the people who built it and lived here, who would be prepared to come and talk to me, and tell me their stories. Maybe an old staff member or farm worker ? There must be someone still around .... 1960 is not so long ago ......

The farm which the old house belongs to, used to be a diary farm - back in the day. Here above are the old dairy sheds and main dairy buildings. Look at those views, again ! (If you drive along the road pictured, it veers left and eventually takes you to our house - it's within walking distance).

I didn't mention anything about the pull the house had on me when I took my mother-in-law there recently. Yet she turned to me as we stood outside and said "I can feel something here, a spiritual presence, it is a good feeling - can you feel it too ?" So, I'm not the only one who feels it ...... this house speaks .... and as they say 'we all walk in the footsteps of those who have gone before us'. Even if we don't know who those people may be.

I hope that one day, I can find out, and find out the history of this beautiful old homestead. But until then .... well, until then I'll imagine, imagine what it used to be like, and make up stories in my head, about the people who used to live there, and the lives that they might have lead.

(If you'd like to read more about the history I've been able to find out about our farm and house, you can read some posts I wrote a while back over here and here).