Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Connoisseur Cooking of the '60's

Just a few of the old supplements I've 'inherited' ....

“I was going to throw these out” said my Mum “But then I thought I’d better check if you wanted to keep them first”. I’m so glad that she did, because they are rare copies of “Connoisseur Cooking” published as a weekly supplement to “You Magazine” from 1969 through 1971 in Salisbury, Rhodesia. There are 19 issue’s in total (not the complete series) and I jumped at the chance to claim them as my own ! I have a collection of old family recipes and recipe books from my Mother’s side of the family, some dating as far back as 1929 so I am only too happy to add these supplements to my collection.

I adore “old fashioned” cooking, and recipes containing common ingredients used in simple yet clever ways. I also think that these supplements in particular, contain a little bit of “Rhodesian” food history which has long since vanished as time has gone by.

Here is a sample of some of the interesting snippets I’ve found in the supplements so far -:

“Cordon Bleu” cooking classes were offered in 1969 for “working women and housewives alike” and a 6 week course cost 3.30 Pounds.

Introductions to various ingredients included gems such as “Potato may appear an extremely mundane vegetable, but is really a boon to any housewife” and one feature titled “Victory with Vegetables”.

The supplements are peppered with advice such as “If you wish to impress, then a gateau is your answer. Guaranteed to evoke awe .. it will allow you to give vent to any decorative flair you may be harboring” and “cold meats have long been a favourite of the housewife”.

A feature called “Pickin’ a Chicken” claims “Once a luxury reserved for Christmas and special occasions – chicken nowadays features frequently on the average family menu”.

Recipes include such delights as “Inyanga Trout”, “Baked Ham American Way” , “Windfall Cake” , “3 Witches Froth”, “Economy Bread Rolls”, “Roast Haunch of Venison”, “Bacon Mealie Meal Waffles” and “Tuna Fish Chowder”.

Readers were encouraged to mail cooking related questions in, and a select few were published in the “Query Corner” of each issue. On ‘housewives’ minds at the time, were taxing questions such as “Can one buy shredded suet ?”, “How do I stuff and garnish a suckling pig ?” and “How much flour does one cake of yeast raise ?”

These supplements are little treasures and I hope in the future to be able to recreate some of the old recipes to photograph and feature on my blog, so watch this space ….. (although I think I’ll pass on the “Tuna Fish Chowder”, thanks !)