Tuesday, March 25, 2008

One A Penny, Two A Penny ....

The fact that they only appear once a year, always makes me feel that I should eat as many as possible before they disappear again for another year !

“Hot Cross Buns ! Hot Cross Buns !
One A Penny, Two A Penny,
Hot Cross Buns
If you have no daughters -
Give them to your sons.
One a Penny, two a penny
Hot Cross Buns”

I loved this nursery rhyme as a child, as my daughter does today. She was thrilled to be able to recite it with me as we were actually eating Hot Cross buns this Easter.

Traditionally eaten on Good Friday, some say that the cross on the buns is due to the fact that they used to only be eaten on this ‘holy’ day.

Toasted or plain, with butter/jam or without, the choice is yours.

We enjoyed ours on Good Friday, lightly toasted with butter and a nice cuppa tea. I hope that you, too, managed to sink your teeth into one of these tasty Easter treats.