Monday, April 28, 2008

Tomato, Mozzarella & Basil Salad

I use the ripest tomatoes which I can find for this delicious and simple salad

This is a simple salad which is great as part of a light lunch or as a side dish to a main meal of pasta.

I made this over the weekend as I had some lovely ripe tomatoes that needing using up and I also wanted to try some of the basil I’d planted in a pot outside my kitchen window.

The mozzarella I found in town last week – it is locally made (from cows milk) and it isn’t that great, and had a bit of a floury texture but hey ho, it’s the closest to the real thing we can get here, so I bought it to try out !


Tomato, Mozzarella & Basil Salad

2 Tomatoes, sliced (the riper, the better !)
Mozzarella Cheese, sliced
Basil, a few leaves
Olive Oil, about 1 tbsp
Balsamic Vinegar, about 1 tbsp
Salt & Pepper, to taste

Layer the tomatoes and top with the Mozzarella slices. Sprinkle salt and freshly ground black pepper over these, then drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Top with sprigs of fresh basil, and serve immediately.