Monday, May 26, 2008

Blog Housekeeping .... Some Updates

The "Metrification and the Housewife" pamphlet which gave me such a laugh ! (Read more about it below)

No school runs this week – it’s half term – yippee ! I’ve told my husband that I do not want to set foot off the farm during this time. Not a FOOT ! I am tired of bumpy roads (and packed lunches !), and am relishing the thought of – just staying put for a while.

So, no excuse then, time to do a little housekeeping … no, not THAT sort of housekeeping, silly ! (I have house staff to help out with THAT !) But rather, some blog housekeeping …

Thanks to the people who’ve suggested that I alter my header (sunset) picture so that the title/description is more readable. I know that the green does not show up clearly against the photo background, so I’m working on that as we speak …

As the largest percentage of my blog visitors are from the US (happy Memorial Day to you all, by the way !), and the UK, and as both countries follow the Imperial measurement system, but all my recipes are written in the Metric measurement system, I have added a gadget to the bottom of the blog (right above the “Recent Visitors Map”) that enables you to quickly calculate between Metric and Imperial. (Thanks to Ginger, for bringing this to my attention.)

I’ve removed the Google “Search” bar to make way for the new conversion gadget, as I don’t want my blog to become too cluttered. (I don’t know about you, but I find nothing more annoying when visiting a blog/website to find that it takes ages to load due to all sorts of flashing, beeping gadgets, adverts and falling snowflakes all over the place ?)

I have also changed the number of blog posts on the first page from 5 to 3 so that the blog still loads fairly quickly.

If you need a giggle to cheer up your Monday, the picture above is of a leaflet I inherited along with some old family recipe books recently. It was issued in Salisbury, Rhodesia (present day Harare, Zimbabwe) in December 1970 and it’s title is “Metrification and the Housewife” … the front cover (pictured) reads -:

“THE MASSIVE LADY - Weight will be known as Mass”

The blue diagram is of a lady standing on a bathroom scale, wrapped in a towel and the words underneath read “My weight used to be 220 pounds but now my mass is only 100 kilograms ”

The pamphlet goes on to reassure the 1970’s ‘housewife’ ….. “How will these changes affect the housewife ? Will all her favourite recipes and cookery books become quite useless ? No ! She can still bake as she always did, but she will buy the ingredients in amounts measured in the new system of units.”

The pamphlet was produced by the “Domestic Functional Committee of the Metrification Council” – my goodness, what a mouthful ....

Have a wonderful Monday, everyone ;)