Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Lynda's Luscious Lemon Loaf

Tasty, tangy and moist, we enjoyed this with a nice cup of tea ...


Following on from my post on Sunday about the glut of lemons I have at the moment, I decided to make a Lemon Loaf this weekend.

This is one of my own recipes - it is a nice moist loaf with a tangy lemony flavour, accentuated by the addition of the lemon icing (although you could use water in place of the lemon juice and just keep the icing plain if you prefer).

Lemon cakes and loaves are not that common here in Africa … I mean, you do not often see them in shops, bakeries or on restaurant menus or even in people’s homes, for that matter. I’m not sure why ? But anyway, it is a loaf I sometimes like to make for tea when we have visitors as it is slightly ‘unusual’ here, and always gets rave reviews !

I had just iced the loaf and was waiting for the icing to set slightly before I sprinkled the grated lemon rind on the top, when I caught my husband brandishing a knife “Can I just have a little taste off the end ?” he asked me “NO ! DON’T YOU DARE !!!” I shouted at him “I haven’t taken a photo of it yet !” My poor husband eventually got to eat a piece (he likes the crusty end pieces slathered in - wait for it - peanut butter !) about 5 seconds after I’d taken the photo !


Lynda’s Luscious Lemon Loaf

125 gm Margarine
150 gm brown Sugar
2 tbsp finely grated Lemon rind
4 tbsp Lemon juice
2 Eggs, beaten
¼ cup Milk
175 gm Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
pinch of Salt

For the icing :

130 gm Icing Sugar
3 – 4 tbsp Lemon juice
1 tsp finely grated Lemon rind

Cream the margarine & sugar together. Add the lemon rind & juice, and continue to beat. Add the beaten eggs & milk and mix and then fold in the sifted flour, baking powder and salt. Blend well together and pour into a greased loaf tin. Bake at 190’C/375’F/Gas Mark 5 for 40 - 45 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean. Set aside to cool.

Meanwhile, mix the lemon juice, rind and icing sugar together and once the loaf is cool, pour it over the top and smooth with a knife. (You can keep a little of the finely grated lemon rind back, and sprinkle it over the surface if you like.)