Saturday, May 3, 2008

Pumpkin Fritters

A batch of pumpkin fritters being fried in oil

The first time I ever tried Pumpkin Fritters was when I was a child at boarding school in South Africa. They were usually served as a vegetable side dish to a main meal such as a roast. I vividly remember them being very oily, and the oil that oozed out of them was usually an orange colour – egh !

I make sure that mine are not too oily by ensuring that the oil I fry them in is VERY hot. I also always drain them on and blot them with kitchen paper after frying.

These can be served as a ‘savoury’ vegetable side dish but the way I like to eat them is as a dessert – sprinkled with a little cinnamon sugar and with some lemon juice squeezed over the top of them. (Can you tell that I have a sweet tooth ?!)

I know that Corn Fritters are popular in other parts of the world, but I must confess that I’ve never tried making any. Perhaps I should give them a try sometime, too ?

Pumpkin Fritters

2 cups Pumpkin, cooked & mashed (drain as much water off as you can before mashing)
5 heaped tbsp Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Cinnamon, ground
pinch of Salt
1 Egg, beaten
Oil for frying

Mix all the ingredients together well. (The mixture will be a bit sloppy, but don’t worry). Drop tablespoons of the batter into the hot oil and fry until golden, turning a couple of times during the cooking process. Drain on kitchen paper and serve hot as either a side dish, or a dessert (see my suggestions above).