Friday, May 2, 2008

A Recipe For Curried Eggs

Not as well known as deviled eggs, these curried eggs are absolutely delicious and well worth a try ...

Eggs are so versatile and nutritious and seeing as I have access to a steady supply of lovely fresh farm eggs, I make sure that I always have a good stock of them in the house.

I call them ‘fast food for toddlers’, as after a long day off the farm and a late return home, I usually whip up a quick omelette or some scrambled eggs for my daughter for dinner .. with a few veggies or cooked meat thrown in and some cheese sprinkled on the top, served alongside some fresh buttered bread – a really nutritious, fast and easy ‘toddler’ meal !

Frittata are also a great lunchtime meal, served with a fresh side salad (mmmm … I might just have to make one this coming week and post a recipe for it). I also love stuffed, or deviled eggs but my all time favourite egg recipe is for curried eggs.

I first ate these when I was at boarding school in South Africa – they were usually served as a light meal on bread or with rice. They are really delicious - especially if you make them the day before you plan to eat them. They are also great served cold as a side dish to accompany a barbecue or cold lunch spread. The curry sauce in this particular recipe is just – perfect. So whether you prefer deviled eggs or poached eggs, frittata or eggs benedict …. do add this recipe to your collection and give it a try sometime – it’s a real winner !


Curried Eggs (recipe from the book “Cook & Enjoy It” by S.J.A. de Villiers)

2 Onions, sliced
2 tbsp butter/margarine
2 tsp Medium Curry Powder
2 tbsp Cake Flour (I use Cornflour)
1 tsp Salt
½ tsp Pepper
1 tbsp Sugar
2 tbsp Vinegar (or 1 tbsp Chutney & 1 tbsp Vinegar)
2 cups Meat Stock (I use 2 beef stock cubes dissolved in 2 cups boiling water)
6 hard boiled Eggs, sliced lengthways

Brown the onions in the butter. Combine the curry poweder, flour, salt, pepper & sugar and blend with the vinegar. Add to the onion and gradually stir in the meat stock liquid. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour the curry sauce* into a serving dish, and add the boiled eggs.

*You can also add two ripe sliced bananas to the curry sauce.