Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Toddler Fun - An Easy & Non Toxic Play Dough Recipe !

Play Dough is so easy to make & will give your child hours of fun !

I remember having “Play dough” as a child, which my Mum made for us. In fact, I vividly remember trying to eat the very bright pink/almost red coloured dough and quickly removing it from my mouth when I realized how salty it was !

When I was pregnant with my daughter, my sister gave me this simple and non toxic play dough recipe which she made regularly for her kids, and I have made it for my daughter ever since. It’s a really easy recipe which requires no cooking.

The first batch I made kept perfectly for over a year in an airtight plastic bag, as I put it away carefully after each use. The high salt content acts as a preservative. Despite the extreme saltiness, my daughter still eats it and I have to stop her from trying to feed it to the dogs all the time !

I usually give my daughter a plastic board, rolling pin and some pastry cutters to use with the play dough. I have also made small holes in the play dough shapes and baked them so that they harden, then threaded them on to a piece of string for her and made a “necklace”. You could also use this to make simple decorations for your Christmas tree. The possibilities are endless !

Here’s the recipe -:


Easy & Non Toxic Play Dough

2 cups white Flour
1 cup Salt
4 tbsps Cream of Tartar
2 tbsp cooking Oil
a few drops of Food Colouring
2 ½ cups boiling Water

Mix all the flour, salt and cream of tartar together in a large bowl. Then put the oil, food colouring & 1 cup of the boiling water into a jug & mix well before adding to the dry ingredients. Blend well and then add the other 1 ½ cups of boiling water & mix together to form a soft, pliable dough.

(The dough needs to be kneaded well before using it for the first time, while it is still warm.)

Store in an airtight plastic bag – it will keep for up to a year.