Thursday, June 12, 2008

Individual Pizza "Swirls" - Great For Kids Lunchboxes !

These make a great lunchbox snack for kids, or served with a side salad as a light lunch for peckish adults !

I have a busy day ahead of me in the kitchen today. As I mentioned recently, it is my daughter’s school Sport’s Day tomorrow, and I have offered to take a tray of savoury snacks and a tray of sweet snacks for the children.

After much pondering, I’ve decided on Chocolate & Raspberries Muffins as my “sweet” snack (you can find my recipe for those here), and for my “savoury” snack I’ve settled on another version of my sister, Colleen’s Savoury Swirls (you can find the recipe for those over here).

The Savoury Swirls are being altered a little to become Pizza Swirls (or mini Pizza coils … or Pizza snails ?!) as I have decided that instead of a Bolognese/ meat filling, I am going to do a cheese, tomato and herb filling instead.

This filling, I must just add, was inspired by the recent influx of jars and jars of “pasta” and “pizza” sauce on shop shelves in the city. I have rarely seen this product here before, now everywhere I look – there it is ! Several consignments of food items have obviously just arrived in the country and been cleared and obviously they contained cases and cases of the stuff, as every shop I’ve been into is stocking them – in all sorts of varieties ! (So I had to nab myself a couple – ‘cause once the stock has run out, we’ll probably never see them on our shelves here ever again !)

I wouldn’t be surprised to find that this particular brand has either a.) expired -fiddling & forging expiry dates is common place here or b.) been removed from shelves in the “first” world due to a recall because of dodgy product ingredients & has ended up here c.) has been donated by an overseas charity to feed the starving and has somehow ended up being sold on shop shelves. (How else would you explain thousands of jars of the stuff ?!)

As I have never made the “Pizza” version of these before, and also because I was itching to open a jar of this magical pizza/pasta sauce and test it - I did a trial run earlier this week (pictured above) and they turned out really well !

So, enough of my waffling as I have to get cracking in the kitchen now …. here is the recipe I used this week - the same recipe which I will be using today -:


Pizza Swirls

Dough:
250 gm Butter / Margarine
250 gm Grated Cheddar Cheese
375 gm Flour
5 ml Baking powder
pinch of Salt

Filling:

375 gm jar Pasta/Pizza Sauce (I used Tomato & Garlic)
1 cup grated Cheddar Cheese
10 ml mixed dried Herbs

First make the dough - mix all the ingredients together to form a soft dough. Gently roll the dough out onto a well floured surface (or a sheet of wax paper/plastic wrap) into a rectangular shape.

Now spread the dough with the pasta sauce, top with the grated cheese and dried herbs and gently roll up lengthwise into a sausage shape. Thinly slice the dough into rounds and place on a greased baking tray. (Leaving the dough in the fridge for around 20 minutes before cutting makes it a little easier).

(You can also sprinkle a little extra grated cheese and herbs on the top of each slice before baking if you like.)

Bake for about 15 – 20 minutes at 180 °C/350’F/Gas Mark 4.