Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Mum's 30 Day Bran Muffins (Yes, really !)

Great for breakfast or tea, these healthy bran muffins also make a tasty lunchbox filler

My Mum used to often make these muffins when we were growing up as kids.

We moved around a lot as children and these muffins always remind me of the short time we spent living in a tiny town in Zululand called Kwambonambi, in South Africa. Our house was on the border of a large forest where my sister and I would often take our dogs for walks (it was really safe in those days to wander around on our own !), and we had a tree house built into a tree in our garden. It’s also where my Auntie Lylie and cousins Quentin and Linelle came to visit us for a holiday, and where we formed our own “kiddies band” and Auntie Lylie taught us how to do macramé – it’s funny what you remember about certain times of your life, and these muffins always remind me of that time, perhaps because this may have been when my Mum first got the recipe, and started making them for us.

The batter keeps for up to 4 weeks in the fridge and I can vouch for the fact that it really does last that long, and we never got sick after eating muffins made from the batter after the 4 weeks was up ! (I would therefore recommend using the freshest eggs possible for this and honestly, I myself would not keep it for 4 weeks if using local unpasteurized African farm eggs, that’s for sure !)

A great tip, especially if you have a houseful of guests staying over, is to make the mixture the night before, leave it in the fridge and then it is dead easy the following morning to whip up a quick batch for breakfast.

These muffins also taste great with butter and cheese on them.


Mum’s 30 Day Muffins

2 Eggs (as fresh as possible)
½ cup brown Sugar
1/3 cup sunflower Oil
2 cups Digestive Bran
2 cups skim (or Low Fat) Milk
1 tsp Salt
2 ½ tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
2 ½ cups Whole wheat Flour(I use plain white cake flour a we cannot get whole wheat here)
1 tsp Vanilla essence
¼ cup seedless Raisins
¼ cup Oats

Beat the eggs & sugar together until well blended. Add the oil, and beat again. Then add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate overnight and then pour spoonfuls into greased muffin tins & bake at 180’C/350’F/Gas Mark 4 for 20 to 25 minutes.

This mixture (batter) keeps for up to 4 weeks in the fridge, just stir it well before using – it makes around 22 muffins in total.

(I sometimes sprinkle a few pumpkin seeds on top of each muffins before baking.)