Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Peach Pies - Inspired by Nancy !

These Peach Pies could just as easily be made with an apple, raisin and cinnamon filling - delicious !

There are so many inspiring bloggers out there, and Nancy over at “A Recipe A Day" is one of them.

I simply love Nancy’s easy cooking style and delicious ingredients which call for minimum ingredients and maximum flavour – she cooks the type of food I just love to cook (and eat !) & a few weeks ago I commented on one of the recipes she’d just posted for “Cherry Cream Cheese Turnover Cookies” (which you can see on her blog over here) which really appealed to me. Being as food obsessed as I am (especially when it comes to baking !), I couldn’t stop thinking (fantasizing ?) about these delicious cookies and as cherries are almost impossible to find here (the tinned ones are rare) I decided that I would adapt the recipe and use peaches instead, make the cookies bigger and turn them into “pies”.

So, here is my ‘take’ on the recipe (which I re-christened “Peach Pies” after all my adaptions) and the original recipe is on Nancy’s blog here. Thanks, Nancy for the inspiration !

Peach Pies

1 x 250 gm tub Cottage Cheese (Cream Cheese)
¾ cup Butter, room temperature
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
2 cups Flour
pinch of Salt
1 x 825 gm tin Peach Halves in Syrup, drained & sliced
Caster Sugar

Blend the cottage cheese and butter. Add vanilla essence and blend well. Add flour and salt and mix well. Pat in disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Roll out on a floured surface and cut into 6 rounds (I used a small saucer as a template). Place a tablespoon or so of the sliced peach halves into the center and carefully fold over and seal edges with a fork.

Brush with a little milk and / or beaten egg before baking if you wish, and poke each pie a few times with a sharp knife to make slits for the steam to escape.

Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 180’C/350’F/Gas Mark 4 for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely as filling is HOT. Dust with caster sugar.

Makes 6 pies