Sunday, August 31, 2008

Strawberry Cheesecake Jellies

These Strawberry Cheesecake Jellies are not only fun for kids to make but healthy, too !

I’m not really sure what to call these as they were something my daughter and I came up with the other day because I had some cottage cheese and strawberries in the fridge which both needed using up ! I love fridge cheesecake so this is how the idea for these ‘evolved’. (I also came up with a ‘diet friendly’ crustless baked cheesecake and I’ll post the recipe for that soon).

These were actually quite tasty, my husband devoured one at lunchtime & when I asked him if he’d like another one after supper that night he said yes, please they are lovely, what did you put in them & when I told him “cottage cheese”, he pulled a face and said that he wouldn’t have another one that night, after all, thanks !

Strawberries and raspberries are grown here in Tanzania in tunnels for export overseas. From what I can tell, the surplus and ‘rejects’ end up on our local shelves …. fruit which is an odd shape or too large or has blemished skin – but of course they still taste lovely ! Raspberries are available pretty much all year round, except for a couple of months over July/August when we can only get strawberries. I stock up and freeze a lot of them, and you will see many recipes containing strawberries coming up on the blog soon, as I tend to go a bit ‘strawberry mad’ at this time of the year !

Strawberries are my favourite fruit and for me, a winter fruit as in the 3 African countries I’ve lived, they have always been available in July. Which is also my birthday month – and I always associate them with winter, July, birthdays and Wimbledon.

Okay, enough strawberry ramblings … here is the recipe and this is a GREAT easy & fun one to make with your kids …. (infact, you could use any type of jelly flavour and add fruit to compliment it, so there’s no need to stick with strawberries)


Strawberry Cheesecake Jellies

1 x 23 gm pkt Strawberry Jelly Powder
1 cup of boiling Water
½ cup cold Milk
250 gm Cottage Cheese*, plain
6 Strawberries, sliced (reserve 1 for garnishing)

Dissolve jelly powder in the boiling water. Add the cold milk & then whisk in the cottage cheese until well blended & smooth. Place the strawberry slices into 5 individual ramekin dishes & pour the mixture over these. Place in fridge to set.
*Cottage Cheese can best be described as curd cheese. It is not an aged cheese and is quite soft. It is drained (but not pressed) so some whey remains behind. It mostly comes in lower fat varieties and is sold either plain or flavoured with savoury flavourings such as chives, garlic and onions. The “natural’ cottage cheese (like the one I used in this recipe) has a very mild taste. I’d love to know how it compares to Cream Cheese (which we don’t get here). I suspect it is similar to a lower fat version of Cream Cheese, and maybe a bit ‘wetter’ ? Does anyone know ?