Monday, September 22, 2008

Pink Meringue Cups

I thought that these meringue cups would look lovely piled high in different colours like blue, green & pink for a child's birthday party

I made these meringue cups with my daughter over the weekend. The mixture was a little runny so instead of making traditional meringues (which would have spread all over the tray as they baked !) I put the mixture into medium sized paper cake cup cases (a recent ‘find’ when I was in the big city !)

The result was a meringue that looked like a cake – delicious ! I love my meringues slightly cracked on the top, crispy on the outside & all gooey on the inside - and these were exactly that.

My daughter’s 4th birthday is coming up in a little over 2 month’s time & I thought that making these in different colours, garnished with fresh fruit in-between and piled up high on a plate would go down a treat with the kids at the party. These would also make great lunchbox fillers as the cup case helps to hold them together and they don’t crumble & break as much as meringues usually do.

Here is the recipe -:


Pink Meringue Cups

4 medium Egg Whites
pinch of Salt
pinch of Baking Powder
1 cup Caster Sugar
Drop of red Food Colouring

Beat the egg whites until they are stiff and soft peaks form. Add the salt & baking powder and continue to beat. Then add the caster sugar a little at a time, folding in & continuing to beat. Add the food colouring and mix to blend. Place spoonfuls of the mixture into lightly greased (medium sized) paper cup cases & bake at Gas Mark 1/120’C/250’F for around 45 minutes until they have risen & are slightly browned with cracked tops.