Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Plum Sponge Pudding - Pure Comfort Food !

This Plum Sponge Pudding is great served with hot custard



When I was in the City the other day, I happened to see some tinned Kenyan plums in the little shop I buy all my dry goods from. These Kenyan plums are small, slightly sour and really delicious & as I went up to the counter to pay for them, I was already thinking (dreaming ?) of the perfect sponge pudding to put them in !

This is a recipe I’ve had – forever - it is a soft, sweet sponge which perfectly complimented the slight sourness of the plums. I served it hot with custard. (Although it was also enjoyed cold right out of the fridge later that night, too. Mmmmmm … now I wonder who THAT could have been ?!)


Plum Sponge Pudding

1 cup flour
½ cup Sugar
Pinch of Salt
2 tsp Baking Powder
½ cup Milk
1 Egg, beaten
2 tbsp Margarine (or butter), melted
1 x 400 gm tin of Plums, drained & pips removed

Sift the dry ingredients together and then add the milk, beaten egg and melted margarine. Mix well & pour into a round, lightly greased, oven proof dish. Push the plums in to the top of the batter (they will sink, which is fine) & bake at Gas Mark 6/200’C/400’F for around 30 minutes. Serve hot with custard.