Thursday, September 11, 2008

Morning View From The Farm Over Mt Meru

Mt Meru just peeks through the clouds. If you enlarge the photo & look just above the line of trees, you can see the magnificent hills & valleys leading to her peak.

If you enlarge the photo & look beyond the tree tops, you'll get an idea of the vast (almost ocean like) expanse of land which surrounds the farm. Aside from the 2 mountains, it's pretty flat in this area. Flat and vast. (You could get lost in all this space - you really could !)

No photo or video could ever do the magnificent views we have from our front veranda (or from anywhere on the farm, for that matter) any justice. I have posted a lot of sunset and general scenery photo's from around the farm on my blog, as well as some of the 2 mountains which rise to either side of us - Mt Meru and Mt Kilimanjaro, but those have only ever been taken in early morning or evening light.

These 2 photo's above were taken earlier this week on a clear day in the mid morning. This is the view which we have from our master bedroom, TV & Main lounge and front veranda. (I actually took these from the front veranda). The mountain top which you can just see peeking above the cloud is that of Mt Meru (Africa's 5th highest mountain) which as the crow flies, is about 30 to 40 km's from our farm and last erupted in 1910. (I tell you, 1910 doesn't seem so long ago when you have an earth tremor rumble and shake through the foundations of the house and you look up and see Mt Meru dwarfing the entire farm !) You can read a post I wrote about Mt Meru earlier this year over here.

If you click on the photo's you can enlarge them and see more detail. Like the blue/steel grey colours of the gently sloping hills and valleys leading up to Meru's peak. It is like a patchwork quilt of different blue's ... impossible to describe, and even though I'm used to the view it still made me catch my breath when I saw it this time, because no two views are ever quite the same.

A magnificent mountain - a magnificent moment. I hope you enjoyed sharing it with me !