Friday, September 12, 2008

Chocolate Fudge Icing (Frosting) For Cake

This Chocolate Fudge Icing (Frosting) is a 'must try' !

Have you noticed that a lot of my recent recipe posts have been for desserts and baked goods ? Mmmm … I wonder why that is ? I seem to be in “sweet tooth mode” at the moment. Which is not that good for the waistline ! (Although I assure you, I don’t eat everything you see on this blog *wink wink*)

Anyway, this past weekend I made a chocolate cake (you can see my recipe for that over here) and when I went to ice it, I realized that what I’d thought was icing sugar when I bought it, was actually caster sugar. Oh no ! Miles from the shops, I wasn’t sure what to do when I suddenly remembered a great Chocolate Fudge Icing (Frosting) recipe I’d last used years ago when we had friends with young children staying with us on our old farm for part of the Christmas holidays. They had loved making - and eating – this icing with me so I dug it out and made it with my daughter. It was delicious !

This icing is more like a thick topping. It’s unusual in that it has a hard, crunchy, fudgy texture (which actually helps to retain the moisture in the cake, especially if it lasts more than a couple of days !) that almost forms a ‘shell’ around the cake. It’s also a real hit with kids.


Chocolate Fudge Icing (Frosting)

2 cups Caster Sugar
½ cup unsweetened Cocoa Powder
6 tbsp Margarine (or Butter)
2 tbsp Syrup (I’ve used honey before & this works too)
2 tsp Vanilla Essence

Mix all together (except for the Vanilla essence) in a small cooking pot & bring to the boil whilst stirring. Simmer for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and add the Vanilla essence. Mix to blend, allow to cool slightly & then spread quickly over the cake as it will begin to harden.